Skip to main content

What I’ve learnt from my first year back after maternity leave.

I was keen to get back from maternity leave, not because I didn’t like ‘mum life’ or time with my new friends at baby classes, but because I deeply longed for the ‘professional me’. I missed teaching, the camaraderie of colleagues, and the subject that I love, History. I kept myself busy when I struggled adjusting to motherhood in the first six months. Whilst my baby slept I made revision resources for all of our GCSE course. I used all 10 keeping in touch days, and I returned to work for the last month of the school year even though I had until September to be off. 
This first year back has been hard, but so rewarding. I had to return full time and worried I would miss out on time with my child. However, I’ve taken on new responsibilities at work, which I have managed alongside watching my now 20 month old son flourish. 

Here are some things I’ve learnt in my first year back from maternity leave:
  • Time is never on your side; you become much better at prioritising
  • Juggling tasks is a skill
  • Sometimes the work you’ve done is ‘enough’. It might not be constantly revolutionary, but it is good enough. And that’s okay. 
  • You will never get to work in the morning at the time you planned to
  • Can no longer stay til 5.30 and get everything done- work comes home sometimes and can’t be picked up until after 7 when they’ve gone to bed
  • Being more tired, all the time. Bed time ends up being at 9, so the work window in the evening is limited 
  • You mention being a mum/ having a child every day. Whether this you bringing it up or a student asking something, or conversations with colleagues now you’re part of the parent club
  • Realise that work isn’t everything, but everything you do at work is to provide security for your little one
  • There’s no such thing as a restful half term break- it’s sometimes more tiring to be off!
  • Child care is as expensive as people (rightfully) moan about
  • You are grateful that your nursery doesn’t charge in school holidays
  • You have a new understanding about why parents are so protective over their children, even when they are teenagers 
  • Spend more time in the staff room. It’s more important to have great conversations with other members of staff than getting those 5 books marked. I greatly missed speaking to fellow adults on maternity leave!
  • Being a younger mum and early in my career doesn’t mean I shouldn’t strive for what I want to achieve. I became Acting Head of History in November, only just back from Mat leave, which I have been successful in and loved the challenge (and yes, even the extra work in my limited time!)

Goals for next year: 
  1. Focusing on my wellbeing. My son is happy, healthy and loves nursery. I need to find an outlet, whether that be for creativity or exercise. I’ve even looked into going to an aerial hoop beginners class (even though I am the least flexible person and always looks slightly pregnant still due to no tone!)
  2. Strive to progress professionally. I’ve considered doing a Masters. 
  3. Admit that work will continue to be juggled and that’s okay. My students are making good progress and enjoy lessons, and I am fulfilling the requirements of my role. It is not the end of the world if a PowerPoint slide is not as pretty as you’d like it to be. 

Comments

  1. This is a great blog - thank you! I'm getting ready to return to full time primary and can't wait to get stuck in again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to write and speak like a historian

I think I'll write a more detailed blog post at some point regarding this, but yesterday I tweeted my new display which encourages students to extend their vocabulary with things like causation, adding evidence and avoiding the 1st person. Some asked for a copy so I thought I'd link it here for anyone rather than individually sending! How to write and speak like a historian PPT

Historical 5 A Day

Hi there! I'm a History teacher in Wiltshire, England. My twitter handle is @sehartsmith This weekend I attended the inaugural @ TMSouthHistory  teach meet in Poole. I was asked to present an idea for a 10 minute sharing is caring session, which I nervously agreed to, especially as I have been on maternity leave the past school year! I actually really enjoyed presenting, and people had really nice things to say about my Historical 5 a day revision. I thought I'd create this blog to share this, and hopefully continue as I return to work next week. (photo from @MalCPD on Twitter) Whilst on maternity leave, I decided to keep my 'professional self' in the loop and thought about creating a resource to aid GCSE revision (we teach AQA). I came up with the '5 a day', where students revise content under 5 areas: Key people and terminology Chronology Context Source analysis Plan your answer   An example of a 5 a day on the Elizabethan Golden Age All

Question Gauntlet- using Avengers: Endgame to help with revision

As we all know, this time of year is so important for getting Year 11 engaged in their revision for their GCSEs. One part of this is ensuring they know and can recall key content, and retrieval practice is fundamental to this. During my lessons last week, the film Avengers: Endgame came up frequently to say the least! So I thought utilising this 'hype' would be one way of getting students to recall key knowledge. The idea of the task is pretty straight-forward, but there's six sets of three questions and each set they need to answer all of to 'gain an Infinity Stone' (yes, I even bothered to check which colour each stone represented!) Their aim is to collect all six Infinity Stones, to fill the Infinity Gauntlet, and wield their amazing knowledge on that particular topic. I'm hoping it gets Year 11 (and also Year 10 and 12 for their mock exams) interested through a relevant pop-culture reference! Linked here is the blank template, when I get around to populat